Sunday, June 17, 2012

Are you serious?

As I was at Ross, bee-lining for work out clothes there were also several other women with the same thought. However, it was quite obvious that we were there for different reasons.

Me: I was there to get a deal on my nĂºmero uno pair of work out shorts. (nike, I'm in love with your work out apparel) anyway, as I was looking through the racks scoring shorts for $12.99 when they're regularly $30.00 I over heard this on the other side of the rack...

Them: Kelly, look at this... XXL work out clothes! I didn't even know they made them this big, well I guess someone that size needs to work out anyway! Good thing we're skinny, we're in shape and don't have to work out...

As I gathered my composure, after being completely horrified that,

a. they said that out loud and in public
and
b. they were so ignorant to think that because they're thinner than an XXL they're in shape

I would HOPE that people would have the common sense, wait, I mean the social skills to either keep their mouth shut or say something actually legitimate that has validity behind it.

Being thin does not give you the fast track ticket to being in shape. Sure you may wear a size 4 but you probably can't run farther than I can throw you and I'm certain that you wouldn't last in strength class. Of course there millions of people who are in shape and look great in a 4 - I know I'll never be there, not going to happen, no way no how. But, I have confidence in getting where I'd like to be and that's healthy.

Moral of this ranting blog entry is that being healthy isn't just shedding pounds, running miles upon miles and spinning my life away but also having a healthy mind, and finding the good and encouragement in others doing the same. Had someone been looking at those shorts when they were talking they probably would have left, I know I would have. It'd be nice to not be judged for trying to make a change and hey, you have to start somewhere!

Getting healthy comes with enough challenges; I, nor anyone else do not need any extra nonsense.

Be respectful for Pete's sake-- we're running laps around the people on the couch!

Remember, running is a pain in the ass...but it'll give you a nice one! And go get yourself a new work out outfit, I said its okay ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment